A Virtual Desktop provides a similar user experience to a normal Windows desktop except that all the things running on the desktop – icons, windows, applications, folders, taskbar, and start menu – are running remotely on a server instead of a PC.
A Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) uses desktop virtualisation software which separates the desktop operating system, applications and data from the local hardware, instead storing this Virtual Desktop on a remote server.
In a Hosted VDI environment users access the virtual desktop over the Internet.
A Hosted Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (hosted VDI) means that the hosting provider looks after the infrastructure providing a fully managed Desktop-As-A-Service (DaaS) solution giving business users cloud based virtual Windows desktops to access their documents, data and applications without having to worry about managing or supporting a complex, on-premises Virtual Desktop Infrastructure.
At Your Office Anywhere this service includes managing the anti-virus and the Windows updates as well as backing up the data, documents and the virtual operating system itself.
What are the benefits of Hosted Virtual Desktops?
- No contracts – freedom to increase or decrease user numbers as needed, or cancel at any time.
- Just pay for the number of users you need each month. This helps save money compared with managing traditional desktops and on-premises Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solutions.
- Easily share business applications and documents with users regardless of whether they are on the same site, different branches or working remotely.
- Avoid upfront investment costs.
- Avoid financial risks investing in costly solutions that may not match your business growth.
- Avoid the challenges or managing, maintaining, patching, and supporting your own on-premises VDI solution.
- Support for multiple devices, run Virtual Desktops on Windows, Mac, iPad, Android Tablets, Chromebooks and Kindle Fire.
- Access from anywhere there is an Internet connection.
The bandwidth requirements for virtual desktops are very light weight so even a low bandwidth connection will work.
Remote Desktop Services
At Your Office Anywhere we run a type of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure called Remote Desktop Services, sometimes called Hosted Desktops. With this type of VDI solution all the users’ desktops run on one Windows server. This has several advantages over individual Virtual Desktops including:
- You only need to update software applications once on the server and everyone gets the update.
- There’s no risk of users accidentally running different versions of software.
- If you need to upgrade the operating system this is also only done once, there is no need to upgrade every single virtual desktop.
- A Hosted Remote Desktop service is much more cost effective than other forms of VDI.
- Only one operating system exists so storage costs are much lower.
- Only one operating system licence is needed so licence costs are lower.
- Everyone has the same consistent environment so people are more productive and support costs are lower.
- Resources (Memory and CPU) are pooled across all users providing a much more efficient use of resources and so reducing costs.
Security and Data Protection
- All data and documents are held centrally; no data is held on either the individual user’s virtual desktop or the user’s local device.
- All data is backed up.
- Less risk of Data Privacy or GDPR violations.
Is a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) solution right for my business?
Moving to cloud based virtual desktops is a big decision, especially for existing businesses. It is important to have a provider you trust and have confidence in. Your Office Anywhere have been implementing and supporting remote desktop environments for over 20 years and have been hosting Virtual Desktops for customers since 2006.
Get In Touch Today To Get Help With VDI Solutions
The best “Next Step” is to talk to one of our technical sales consultants and explain your business needs and requirements and together we can architect the most appropriate Virtual Desktop solution for your business. You can call us on 01282 500 318 or use our online contact form: